Thursday, November 01, 2012
October - BC2012 and Other Goals
October wasn't the best month for BC2012, but I made progress in other areas.
1. Book Challenge 2012: I only read six books this month, which without checking I'll assume is the worst total all year. I did a lot of shopping, though, mostly because I was happy and enjoying myself. October totals: 6 books finished, 13 acquired. Overall totals: 99 books finished, 98 books acquired.
2. Cut down on e-mail: Maybe November will be the month when I finally cut back on the daily deal e-mails.
3. Drive less: I think this was good in October. I've been taking the L downtown instead of driving to the inner suburbs.
4. Physical activity: I went for one bike ride at Busse Woods. It wasn't long but it was my best ride of the year. I felt good and had a great time. I think not having Biking Illinois hanging over my head made all the difference. I need much more exercise, though.
5. Drink more: I've been enjoying UV cake vodka a few gulps at a time.
6. Dine and shop locally: I returned to Costello's and Rockwell's, and I had good meals at both. I skipped the Book Cellar this month, which is just as well considering how many books I bought elsewhere.
7. Clean and declutter: I bought two shelving units for the kitchen and made real progress there. I also went through my wife's stuff and organized it into piles --- now I just need to get her to go through those piles. I'm about halfway through getting all of my printed photographs together. Also I can see the floor in the middle of my office for the first time since we moved in. Oh, and I finally got rid of my books after picking out number 500 to donate. I'd like to take a carload of stuff to Goodwill in November.
8. Enhance and expand my web presence: Oddly enough, my web presence is contracting, but I'll write more about that another time.
9. Figure out my professional future: This one is officially resolved.
10. Floss regularly: After seven months without missing a day, I think it's safe to say this goal is attained as well.