For the most part, March was a lost month. I spent the first half pretty depressed about losing Gracie. I never thought I'd miss her so much. To my surprise, I started missing Ginger more after Gracie died, too. If I hadn't had Book Challenge 2012 to fall back on, I probably would have spent most of my time contemplating the pros and cons of razor blades, nooses, and barbiturates. I was overwhelmed with lethargy. The weather was beautiful -- June warmth in March -- but I didn't leave the house for days. It took two weeks to complete a one-hour task related to preparing my tax returns. The second half of the month was better, but I had another project to finish up before the 28th so most of my goals were ignored. Geez, just look at how long it took to get around to writing those book reviews.
1. Book Challenge 2012: This turned out to be a good month book-wise. Any month when I finish more than ten books is a success, and I managed not to go overboard with my purchases. In fact, I had a coupon for 40% off one book at HPB that I wound up leaving on a bookshelf for another lucky customer (actually I was so down that even book shopping couldn't make me happy). March totals: 11 books finished, 6 books purchased. Overall totals: 29 books finished, 19 books purchased.
2. Cut down on e-mail: I cancelled two infrequent subscriptions, but I signed up for Google's daily offers so this month was not a success. I need to work on this one because I'm falling behind managing my inbox. For the past few months I had 30-50 unread messages, and this month it jumped to 100.
3. Drive less: This one is still going well. Of course, not leaving the house helps.
4. Physical activity: Not much, but better than last month. I willed myself out of my depressed state to go for one bike ride during the June-like weather, and I walked several miles attempting to redeem a Groupon-type offer (I succeeded, but it took two days to do it).
5. Drink more: I drank a little more water since it was warmer.
6. Dine and shop locally: Not bad. I bought groceries at Gene's Sausage Shop (they sell kringle from Racine!) instead of driving to Jewel, and I ate locally more than not.
7. Clean and declutter: I worked on a photo project, and in the process I gathered all of my 35mm prints in one place. They had been spread around five rooms so that's an improvement.
8. Enhance and expand my web presence: No progress.
9. Figure out my professional future: Nothing, but I may have a writing project coming up to pass the time.
10. Floss regularly: This one is going well. I think I only missed flossing two or three days out of the month.
The good news is that Rosco lived to see April 1, so my streak of losing a dog a month has ended. Maybe I'll be in a better mood this month and make some progress.